A cracking looking album on the horizon, that being Modernists – A Decade Of Rhythm & Soul Dedication on the Kent label.
A great cover for what should be a great compilation too. According to the initial details (we’ve not got a copy as yet), this is a collection of rhythm and soul from all over America, described as ‘the sort of stuff that would have had people dancing at the Scene Club if only it had been known about’.
It’s the result of compilers Ady Croasdell and Dean Rudland digging deep onto record collections and tape vaults (including King, Musicor, Arock, Modern and Fraternity) to find these 24 prime cuts, which includes three previously unreleased tracks, one of which (Little Eva’s Dynamite) has already sneaked out and is possibly filling a dance floor near you.
It sounds like this could be the first volume on a series, so if you want to get in on the ground floor, Modernists is out on 23rd February 2015 (but available to preorder now), selling for £11.99 on CD. No sign of a vinyl issue just yet.
1. Soul Jerk It, Baby – Jeb Stuart
2. Dog (Ain’t A Man’s Best Friend) – Lewis Clark
3. Harlem Shuffle – Robert Moore
4. Good Humor Man – Clifford Curry
5. Cat Dance – The In Crowd
6. Jet Set – Mel Williams
7. Hold Your Dog – Oliver Morgan
8. Dynamite – Little Eva
9. Stone Fox – The Pac-Keys
10. I Got Loaded Lil Bob
11. Shirley – John Fred & The Playboys
12. (You Should Have Been A) Doctor – Bessie Banks
13. Boston Monkey – The Hustlers
14. Turn Around And Go – Lee Bernard
15. Got A Good Thing Going On – Clarence Daniels & Obie Jessie
16. Long Ways To Go – Timmy Wilson
17. Shaggy Dog – Danny & The Velaires
18. Bugaloo Pete – Lester Young & The California Playboys
19. Crow Baby Crow – Leroy Harris
20. Monkey Man – Gene Burks
21. Tingling – Eddy Giles
22. She’s Got Soul – Bill Locke
23. Charles’ Shing A Ling – Charles Hodges
24. After Hours – Paul & Rick