This is actually part of a series of releases, but Stirring Up Some Mod Soul Action is the one that’s probably of most interest here.
It’s a series courtesy of a label I haven’t previously heard of, Jasmine Records. Previous releases share a similar template and include Stirring Up Some Ska and Stirring Up Some Jazz if you want to check either out. To be honest, both of those releases have only just come onto my radar, so I’ve no idea how strong the actual end product is. But they look interesting, to say the least.
As for this one, here’s the write-up…
Welcome to the club! And our latest adventures in U.K. Club Land where we continue our exploration of the ‘Club Beat’ – the roots of Mod, R&B and Soul – that coalesced in the bohemian melting pot of Soho, London, post WW2.
In this chapter we explore the roots of the ‘Mod’ generation that was born in and around Soho at the turn of the Sixties.
Our journey takes us to genre defining clubs such as the subterranean ‘Club Americana’, hidden in the basement of the Mapleton Hotel, The Flamingo – THE Mod hangout in the West End – and the ground-breaking Scene Club where Guy Stevens hosted his pioneering R&B Disc Nights which cemented the sound and face of Modernism.
Features hits by Lee Dorsey and Mary Wells and new-to-CD tracks including: ‘Russian Roulette’ by Lester Lanin, ‘Steppin’ High’ by Little Luther and many rarities.
The track listing (you can see it below) is a mix of the obvious and the lesser-known (as hinted at above) and the release also promises ‘illustrated and informative liner notes’. Strange choice of cover too, but that’s not really an issue.
It lands on 1st March 2019 and is available to pre-order now, priced at £9.73.
1. Marv Johnson With All Thats In Me
2. Mckinley Mitchell No Love Like My Love
3. Hank Ballard And The Midnighters Lets Go, Lets Go, Lets Go
4. Wilbert Harrison Lets Stick Together
5. Lee Dorsey Ya Ya
6. Richard Berry And The Pharaohs Louie Louie
7. Marvin Gaye Hitch Hike
8. The Blues Busters Tell Me Why
9. Lester Lanin & His Orch. Russian Roulette
10. The Righteous Brothers Little Latin Lupe Lu
11. Wanda Jackson Whirlpool
12. Odessa Harris A Rockin Good Way (To Mess Around And Fall In Love)
13. Otis Rush Homework
14. Millie Foster Love Wheel
15. Little Luther Steppin High
16. Mamie Perry With Gus Jenkins Orchestra Lament
17. Lazy Lester Im A Lover Not A Fighter
18. Jesse Fortune Too Many Cooks
19. Chris Kenner Land Of 1000 Dances
20. Mary Wells Shop Around
21. Slim Harpo I Got Love If You Want It
22. B. B. Blues Boy King And His Orch. 16 Tons
23. Barbara Mcnair Hes A King
24. Eddie Holland If Cleopatra Took A Chance
25. Arthur Alexander You Better Move On